Sunday, July 08, 2007

WORK IN PROGRESS

For a while now I've been considering what my main spiritual practices are as a Buddhist. Over recent years I've withdrawn from many of the institutions of the Buddhist movement I belong to, because I realised I was over dependant on them to direct my spiritual compass – if I was doing these 'dutifully done things' then my spiritual practice must assuredly be on track. Removing these props did dump responsibility firmly in my lap and a protracted crisis of spiritual self confidence ensued. This week, after quite some months, if not years, of cogitating and reflecting I've come up with six basic areas of practices that I'm confident I can and do appear willing to maintain. Half of them correspond to cultivating The Threefold Way - Sila( ethics ) Samadhi ( meditation ) & Prajna ( wisdom ) so I've not drifted far from the foundation teachings of the Buddhist tradition. Anyway they go in no particular order or hierarchy, as follows :-



SIX PRACTICES


APPLYING CREATIVE ENERGY

Brought to all the following practices, but also more specifically to self – expression through my writing and painting.


CULTIVATING FRIENDSHIPS

I seem to want to maintain these regardless of whatever else is happening in my life. Friends are a vital component part of my spiritual barometer and support network.


ETHICAL AWARENESS

Slips under the radar of being a conscious practice sometimes, so raising my awareness of my desire for ethical probity can only be good.


EVERDAY MEDITATION

That is 'everyday' as in regular, but also 'everyday' as including the ordinary daily things which happen off the cushion, as well as what happens on it.


REFLECTIVE STUDY

Primarily my own private study, but includes study I do with others. My writing on Dogen discourses cross over into this area, as that requires a lot of personal reflection.


MINDFUL WORK

Self explanatory I hope, but with the type of work I'm currently doing, keeping track on how I'm feeling and responding is a necessity.

No comments: