Sunday, November 02, 2008

FEATURE 15 - Studs Terkel on a Soapbox - Parts 1&2

Two You Tube videos from a programme made about Studs Terkel seven years ago.





Studs Terkel on Interviewing.

"I've changed the word 'interview' to 'conversation'. That's deliberate, because of the connotations. I'm talking about the connotations in my mind. You go for a job, you get interviewed: that means you get asked questions, and you give answers... Well, I don't want it to be like that. I want it to be like a conversation, and I want it to be entertaining and I want it to be enjoyable. To me, to the guy I'm talking with, and to all that audience of eavesdroppers out there who're hearing it. That's exactly the atmosphere I want to create, that they're eavesdropping. They're excluded from the conversation, but I don't want them to feel that, I want them to feel they could join in if they wanted to."

Studs Terkel from a book of interviews he had with that other great oral historian, Tony Parker.

No comments: