Getdown Services presence in our music universe, appears to have a stronger public profile with every year. Their debut album Crisps, was a portfolio of whiplash wit and droll eccentric observations about the male way of being men in 2023. Featuring a wild mix of styles from dance to indie, drawing on 80'sand 90's tropes, and giving them a distinct twist that was all their own. Since then Joshua Law and Ben Sadler have been literally working their arses off performing in small local venues across the country, to some acclaim. They are, according to reviews, a two man communication of wonder and enthusiasm, and something to be sought out as an experience. Between Crisps and their second album Massive Champion, their have been an albums worth of tracks that didn't make the debut album and EP's galore. This output I'd say was of mixed value, some real gems, others variations on familiar Getdown Services themes. More does not necessarily mean better. I began to think they were putting out far too much. One might be forgiven for thinking they released anything that moved, with little vetting for quality. So, Massive Champion arrives presenting challenges as most second albums do.
It opens with a bit of an oddity. Poor Bannister, is a folk tinged song about watching an old woman asleep on a bus, while some random drunk guy pukes up on his trousers, but tries to pretend nothing is wrong. This is certainly an novel way to open an album. With the next song we are returned to rather more standard GS territory I Can't Die Like That, where they wonder about "Maybe my neck wont snap, if I fill it with snacks' should he ' Kiss the floor like the Pope' and ' I wonder if I'll ever stop thinking about killing Baby Oleg, I hope not'. But like many tracks on Massive Champion, I Can't Die like That, has a more reflective and sombre feeling to it, about mortality and purpose. The whole album is flecked with regret. About childhood experiences, growing up, and why he is choosing to live his life in this way. Joshua Law, as the primary songwriter, has developed a vein of sadness and poignancy in his songwriting, alongside the strongly scabrous swearing, and sarky humour. Probiotic begins with a dialogue where he is asked why he won't eat probiotic food. The answer - 'because it's got bits in it'.
Social anxiety appeared in their first album on the track 'I wish it didn't bother me', here it's 'Cha Cha Slide ' as a six year old Josh goes to his first party and feels a bit out of it and clueless, he wants to be like his friend Dennis, but finds I hard. This is a gently touching song, that channels the embarrassment and self consciousness of a young child's experience. Then we hit two really quintessential songs, which are the summation of what Getdown Services currently are. Radiator, probably needs no introduction. It paints a picture of two guys living in a room they can't turn the heating down in. The sweaty semi-squalor of a bachelor existence is painted so well.
The Definitive Map that follows appears to be channelling mid 80's The Fall, in the way they collectively chant 'Trespass', it is by far the best of their rock numbers on the album. After this peak the album did feel to me to become more a meandering through moods, with its brief monologues and love songs. So far Getdown Services USP has been them being two unpretentious blokes who are best mates having a bit of a laugh together on stage. This album appears to be reaching for a bit more than that, but has not yet found a way of confidently standing in that world yet.
If you could sum up Massive Champion I'd say it is certainly more reflective than it's predecessor, the highpoints are when they are on their most well trodden ground. This album has been out for a while now, and though I've listened too it through quite a few times, it doesn't feel a must have purchased. Whilst it has definitely got highlights that show off their brilliance, their is something about it that feels under developed as the next stage in their career. It's not quite resolved enough, to know what they were aiming for here. Maybe the next album will nail this to the mast more securely.
CARROT REVIEW - 6/8

No comments:
Post a Comment