Friday, January 27, 2023

WINDOW VIEWS - The Unlocked Back Door










Roy sat by the heavy oak table heavily panting, his face glistened with sweat from all the frantic running. Maybe he'd bunker down here until the fracas outside died down. Lucky the backdoor of this house had been left unlocked. So he didn't have to add breaking and entering to his already extensive criminal record. He got up to peer from behind the closed curtains of the front room window. In the streets, he could see the smoke of a distant explosion, his car being torched probably. Whilst other, more likely stolen, cars were veering around the area erratically. Flashlights scanning down the hedgerows and ginnals. Young men his age ran along the middle of roads yelling and whelping like pack animals. It didn't look like they'd be giving up and going home anytime soon. If anything this was escalating into an uncontrollable rampage.

The backdoor suddenly slammed shut, as though a through draft had caught and angrily wanged it against the frame. Roy jumped. A bang, far too close, strung him out. He'd better go check that wasn't the owner of the house returning. No, no one around. Though the door appeared to now be locked. He went to check the front door, also firmly shut. Behind him a voice spoke - 'You don't want to leave do you, you've only just arrived, and I do so love male intruders'  Roy freaked,' What the fuck!, who, where are you?' Something brushed passed him. it felt vaguely feminine, he could smell a heavy musky rose perfume ' You seem to be in some sort of trouble, young, sweaty man' a cool breeze blew over him,  'maybe that will... dry you off.'

Roy had only one impulse, to get out. 'It's not that bad here, once you get to know me. The name's Rochelle. I think I'm going to really love having you around for company. Has anyone told you how cute you are?' Roy half felt a hand on his posterior, and then a passing brush of air briefly lifting his hair. 'Mmmm so soft, so gentle'. 'Get the fuck away from me' Roy flailed his arms. He had to find a way to extricate himself from here.  This must be just some elaborate hoax, surely. 'Oh no, this is no hoax... Roy, tell you what...Roy, maybe you should bang on my windows... Roy. Try to attract attention. Go on, do it for me.. Roy.' 'No, I won't, those guys are gonna kill me' 'Whose to say I won't, I think you should at least try a scream or two'. The curtains tore apart and bodily lifted he was flung hard against the window glass, making a creaking splintering sound. Though he banged and screamed as hard as he could. 'Please, please, guys, save me, for gods sake save me, I'll tell you where I hid the stuff I stole, I promise' From the distance the sound of police sirens were growing louder. Everyone was scarpering. No one noticed or heard a word.




No comments: