Friday, August 02, 2024

SHERINGHAM DIARY No 116 - Parking & Riding


On the top deck of a Park and Ride Bus travelling into Central Cambridge. There was a thirty something woman talking on her phone. At a guess, I would say she was either in HR or a Local Area Manager. She was engaged in a long conversation with another woman with regard to one male employees apparent errant behaviour. 

Now, the thing is, you shouldn't really be holding this sort of confidential conversation openly and audibly clear, whilst sitting on the top of a public bus. Also, she was meant to be gathering further information. Her neutral tone noticibly slipped at times. In constant danger of sounding like she was about to take her side. But here she was, and everyone on the top deck of that bus, could hear every single word of a one sided conversation.

' So, when I briefly talked to him yesterday he seemed pleasant enough.. and .. well, no...he wasn't aggressive as such, more.... yeah.... dominant...... yeah, he did all the talking... and for a very long time...... more talked at than with.....not sure if I could say he's a misogynist, actually.....I think he may just be more comfortable in all male conversational situations..... Myself I prefer, and get on well with my male colleagues..... though I know not all women do, I don't know about you, but I guess it's down to personality to an extent....How..... would you describe him? ......Prickly........Yeah.... I don't know how he is going to react to any initiative or way forward we may put to him. I'm going to need to talk at more length with him, to establish a better sense for how flexible and responsive he is able to be.....well.... lets...see first shall we.... before we make that judgement"


We were in Cambridge for the funeral of a good friend of ours Abhayakirti. It was a well organised service, that succeeded in capturing a true bit of the essence of the man. We found it moving and quite emotionally draining. So rather than hang around, we drove to Anglesey Abbey, about ten minutes out of town. We had lunch there, relaxed within its relative calm. briefly walking the grounds before setting off home. The round trip was ten hours, from setting off to arriving back in Upper Sheringham, so quite demanding.

July turned out to be a whole lot more full on than either of us expected. A family visit one week, my heart attack the next week, a funeral and prep for a three day craft fair the next week. Hubby hasn't really stopped all month, a lot of it has been emotionally tough too. Myself, obviously, I have been operating with my energy seriously under par for most of the month. This last week, the final week in July I'm just beginning to feel the glimmers of my old self returning. I don't tire quite so easily, my stamina is improving. I'm beginning to enjoy eating food. I know when to stop pushing myself. I've even been sleeping better. There are a lot of things we've had to park for now, till we get through this busy period. Rather than resist it, its best ride the wave of it, because at some point this will all settle down again.

No comments: