Wednesday, June 10, 2026

POEM - And what is this?

What is it we want
That I can offer my
thumbs and thoughts too?
What is that?
And what is this?

What is the faith
That neither brutalises truth
Nor sugar coats the sting?
What is that?
And what is this?

What is it pride
When overburdened 
With apathy or bile?
What is that?
And what is this?

What sort of question
Is it brings answers 
That do not feed the hunger?
What is that?
And what is this?

What colour of life is it
That spins away from
hollow holes of glory?
What is that?
And what is this?

What is it thunders
Before the smell of rain
is conjured in my mind?
What is that?
And what is this?

What is it that remains silent
as baying wolves
Demand sacrificial victims?
What is that?
And what is this?

What is it that survives
the civilisational collapsing
that only a poet mourns?
What is that?
And what is this?

What is it I resist
As my throat is arrested 
at the cusp of words
What is that?
And what is this?

What is it I am seeking
in the long drawn
alleys of allegory 
What is that?
And what is this?

What is it?
I am dreaming of
that I do not really wish to know?
What is that?
And what is this?


Stephen Lumb
Written October 2026

No comments: