This track from their first album Crisps, is still on my morning shower playlist. Getdown Services music, is hewn with authenticity, which largely comes from Josh Law, the main songwriter and production ideas man. Though the ethos of this junk food obsessed band, is a collective one, shared between Law and his best mate Ben Sadler. As friends from childhood, there is sense for the in joke, boyish foolishness and what larks they get up to, about them still, even though they in their thirties. They don't remotely mind they're overweight and will happily perform with their shirts off. Crisps, is one of those songs that you can't quite pin down what it's about, there is a certain scattergun quality in its lyrical direction and wit, but the well turned phrase is one of their distinguishing qualities -
It's a good job it's not a competition mate, or I swear you'd fuckin lose it - I'm having a party and your not invited, I'm building a castle and your not getting in, it's Mott and Bailey - Your not the enemy, your somewhere in-between a childhood dream and a pyramid scheme - I'm thick as shit, I'm not, but I look it, I got apps, I got a phone and I know how to use it, I got audio books.
They musically draw from quite a wide pool of styles, anything 80's or 90's rock or electro. There are times when the elliptical nature of their lyrics and delivery evokes the stridency of Mark E Smith & The Fall. Law, increasingly has this air of world weary pathos about him, and looks like he's been on one too many benders lately, whilst Ben Sadler appears to just love the larking about. Considering the gig schedule they keep up it's no wonder they've got bags under the eyes and look tired.

No comments:
Post a Comment