Monday, December 18, 2023

POEM - The Passing Places


And, as is usual I reach out
I reach over
with the need to know
a need to believe 
to sense
that you are there
it is more than a comfort
more than a palliative to chaos
more important 
than an idle gesture, but an emotion 
the hands are but a flicker of,
a burnishing of the heart's
yearning to not feel alone
an aloneness 
prefigured in the etching
of a body into space
that is a life, my life
and within reach of it
is you, innumerable moments
of another body outside my own
another soul, traveling packed with 
the divisions of our solitude shared
along the traverse
of country roads, narrow as a badger run
with scraped out lay-bys, these arcs 
of passing places, 
then stopping places, 
those places that move me, move you,
that enliven me, that I love, 
that love me back, places painted
with reassuring faces,
places where I rest easier
places where being is not a grind,
an effort not to fall over
into negative spirals, for our time together
has this amorphous diaphanous quality
of appearing to effortlessly pass 
unnoticed, the space
where 
a ghost should be, but isn't,
cos there you are, alongside the catalogues 
of despondency, when we fly
catapulted back into love
then, I can cheer only you and I on
and on and on, until an imagined point
where the road ahead runs out, or
drives into an eternal passing place
where I lose my grasp of you, and you of I
reaching over with a hand for morning comfort,
an impulse barely awake, 
 
saying out of the dark 
are you there?
and feeling nothing but cold creases 
on an empty bed, 
perhaps
gone to the bathroom for a pee,
perhaps 
seeking comforts for insomnia,
underpin
these quiet rehearsals of incipient alarm, 
of grief nascent, a waiting place
in which to discover 
how temporary or not, your absence will be, 
til I hear a distant chuckle, your
in the room below
something is amusing you
whilst scrolling through Reddit, and I
cease interrogating the vaults of heaven.


Written November/December 2023
by Stephen Lumb



No comments: