Thursday, August 06, 2020

POEM - Reassembling Sleep

disquieted
at 2am, alerted to
sleeplessness and the perception
of being quite alone with it
tinged with a fear, that
never being able to curl up, ever again,
is a distinct possibility, such is this moment,
such is me, such a watery gaze I have
both lost in and founded upon the beat
that my heart hits, it feels louder,
more insistent here
as penetrating as a smoke alarm
as bodily resonant as
the alarmist emotions
explode into a galloping rhythm
wah u wah u wah, why
do I waver, between flooding
and no access to tear ducts
for love, for myself
for no one's love
do I despair more
because I cannot dream?
lying in bed, bodily still
yet quavering over the smallest passing
of one period of time
being alive, is where everything
turns into emptiness
none of which hurts
and I don't scream out
as the darkness hums
all around like a soft blanket
muffling against my breath
there is always the quiet drum rolls
and a tympany of rain
the stubble on my head
feeling brushed by the hand of static
or was it my Mother? whichever it is
I am drop dead tired
yet too alive and affiliated
at 2am, for any
reassembling of sleep.


written July 2020
Stephen Lumb

No comments: