Wednesday, March 09, 2022

THE BEST BEFORE DATE - 1979 - Suffice To Say by Yachts

 


Yachts were one of the first batch of releases on Stiff Records in the late seventies, along with The Roogalator, Nick Lowe, Wreckless Eric, The Damned, Elvis Costello and Ian Dury. They came like Deaf School the generation before them from Liverpool Art School  Likewise they never quite made it bigtime as other Stiff label mates did. But along the way they produced some witty pop ditties of which Suffice to Say is my personal favourite, but give Yachting Types and Look Back in Love ( Not in Anger ) and Mantovani's Hits a spin too. Henry Priestman was the main songwriter in The Yachts in collaboration with various band members.

The Yachts on Suffice to Say, are from the very start knowing, tongues firmly in cheeks and deliberately cheesy. The cheap organ sound and a lyric that plays with your expectations and sends up the musical convention of having a middle eight and an instrumental break. I have always found it a simple joy to listen too. Shame it never made the charts, because you missed hearing the fun in this lyric.

'I'm just a young romantic fool
I wrote this specially for you
Although the rhymings not that hot
Its quite a snappy little tune
I'm sure you'll like the chorus too
Its sharp sweet and to the point
It even says that I love you
Just after this.

Suffice to say you love me
Can't say that I blame you
Suffice to say I love you too.

No comments: