Friday, February 16, 2024

SHERINGHAM DIARY No 104 - Assume Form


February 1st 2024
I continue doing an hours work in the garage most days. Anymore than that has the potential at least, to tip one's mood from intial frustration into despondancy. But this affect is easing as the garage nears being sorted put. The task is reaching its later stages, down to six boxes that require to be gone through, getting rid of the bikes and junk, and reassembling our old shop counter to be our online packaging station. 

I've also begun excavating a trench in the detritus that is currently overwhelming the damp course, removing this from the outside walls. I'm doing it in small stages, as I sense this will strain my back should I overdo it. All sorts of stuff, have I discovered, dumped there over the years. Today I found an electric iron, complete with flex. The rest is litter, hedge trimmings and assorted building rubble.

February 2nd 2024
I've had a knitting project, a meditation blanket, left unfinished from last year. I bought the yarn two years ago at Worsted Wool Fair. Running out of the wool stymied me in the completing of it. But I suddenly got inspiration and before you know it, its now done. Today I 'blocked' the first section of the lengthy immensity of it. This is currently occupying the bedroom floor whilst it drys out.

During any garage sort out you rediscover things you've half forgotten existed. I have half a dozen of my artworks stored in the garage. One has been in a half dismantled state for quite some time. It needs a bit of tlc and a bit of renovation - voila! - a new project has emerged. 



February 3rd 2024
We bought a hyacinth in the supermarket the other day. Watered it, excavated a nice pot from the pantry to put it in. After only a few days in the warmth of our lounge, the flowers began to grow, and then surge. It became clear it was bolting wildly. They then began to lean precipitously toward the windows direction, seeking the light. I put them actually in the window hoping they would move back upright. No such restoration of verticality was achieved. However, it struck me there was in a certain prostrate elegance, straight out of a Meredith Frampton painting. And so decided to just let it be.


February 8th 2024
As the month progresses our post shop world has begun to assume form. Experimenting with having shops as stockists of our makes. We now have our best selling lampshades, soaps, makeup bags and notebooks in Cottage Beads & Crystals. A shop next door to our old shop site in The Courtyard in Sheringham.

We have now entered the making phase for our next task. Preparing to merchandise a section of Seagulls & Samphire, a craft makers outlet in Blackney, to take our stock. This is happening in about a weeks time. This stockist idea is very new for us. Planning our making to ensure we have sufficient backup, in an early stage. We will learn from experience how it works, and how much effort it requires to keep on top of it. We have other potential stockists in Wells next the Sea and Old Hunstanton.

In the meantime I have stock to make, but mostly I'm getting my head around possible ideas for merchandising the area in Blakeney. I had a look at the area last week. I find it a challenge to work out how to make best use of anything when its in the abstract. I need an active sense of a space and trying out ideas within it. Only then can I tell you what will work and what won't.

February 9th 2024
Yesterday I bought wool for a new personal knitting project - a sleeveless jumper in a gansey style pattern. The wool is a lovely golden mustard colour. The pattern is executed largely in the round, which will be a new thing for me. Past experience with using preparatory knitting swatches as a guide, is they are not infallible. So much can be down to informed but subjective interpretation, and the knitting tension you actually achieve can vary with personal mood. 


I've chosen a suitable yarn, it's DK 100% Shetland wool. This knits up and holds its integrity well. Some wool I experimented with behaved like an elastic band and was a nightmare to knit evenly and maintain tension with. I've not begun knitting it yet, there is a degree of nervous hesitancy hanging around. I'll start whenever I feel ready. Observing the jumper as it assumes form on my needles.

February 16th 2024
On Sunday we install our stock in Seagull & Samphire in Blakeney. Its been the first really full on week with making, since we closed the shop. Hubby has also to fit it around his part time work, which being half term is more time demanding. We have just had to decide to do what we can do, and be OK with that. We have an idea of how we want it to look and be stocked like. But we'll refine that over the next few weeks. I've finished my work on merchandising stands, just a few clocks to make now. We install on Sunday. We will end up taking way more than we will need. To be honest I can't wait to get stuck in, and find out how best to work the space. Watching it assume its form before my very eyes.


No comments: