Tuesday, September 19, 2023

POEM - Listening With The Ear Of The Heart


And the toes 
shall they speak of it
in long and weary tones, the callused sentences 
hard like leather, moaning
at the endless search, the walking 
across sand and mud, the broken shells of sounds, 
fracturing coastal dunes,
demolishing the mountains 
of loves unfettered dreamscapes
I am in the heart, they said 
I am the soul of things, and the soul, shall
hear everything, bear witness to all expressions, 
of existences past and not yet past
and so, when I rub my ears, 
I taste the bitterness in things, in being,
and within the brief flutter of birds 
these consume my active hours. 
I eat nature for breakfast
the daily wittering, feeds on my flesh
I feel it, to the end of my fingertips, 
I touch wings mid flight across the open fields
the earthy granular matter of worms, insects 
and the love of snails, 
the slow whittling of my senses
from individuated loyalties 
to exchangeable impressions, 
qualities I can luxuriate in
I taste the touch, touch what I can hear
I hear the smells, smell what it tasted of
I see the sounds, the sound of what it felt like
I sense everything
simultaneously as colours,
music, a multiplicity of textures
interchangeable, as one feeds on and into another
aggregating into being all of them simultaneously 
in one singular drift, as though
a forethought of space and time 
I cannot exist for long, in inseparable sensations, 
from the indivisible then back again
to the isolate existence
if I am disconnected
am I no longer alive?
if I am not fluid
then what am I?
is what the cornfield confided
in a private memo.


Written September 2023
by Stephen Lumb


No comments: